Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Letter from Kathleen Moonan Fitzgerald to William Fitzgerald - March 1936

BACKGROUND:   William had closed his business in 1931 in the depression, was without a job until appointed project manager for the federally funded Sumner Field housing project in Minneapolis in 1935.  He lived in Minneapolis during the week and returned to Rochester on weekends.  Kato was raising their then 5 children in his absence. Ro was 15, John 13, Kate 11, Pat 8, Sheila was 4. Kato was 43 and William 49.

(Note by Dr. Sheila: Mailed March 5, 1936 to Apartment 607 Buckingham Hotel in Minneapolis, letters cost 3 cents.)

Thursday afternoon

Dear William, A letter with so much pathetic appeal and a C.O.D. package from Schuslers which cost me thirty eight cents postage which I could ill afford really ought to add up to two letters which would make your record right. I’m just miserable enough today to write in a cheerful tone. I can’t imagine what has happened to me but since last night I’ve been about as sick as I care to be. My head and back ache terribly and I’m a little afraid to attempt anything strenuous like washing which always appalls me even when I start the job feeling perfectly all right. I won’t go near the laundry at all tomorrow unless I feel better. I didn’t sleep at all well last night, just nervous, blue, discouraged and very lonesome.

First pleasant news – the gas bill. I wouldn’t write about this but I thought you should write a strong protest which might prove effective. The bill covers a period from Jan. 20 to Feb. 20 and is $70.92 ($64.47 if paid by March 10.) How much of the below zero weather is included in that period? Do you think we could get anywhere with a complaint? There wasn’t any carelessness because, after that dreadful fifty dollar bill, I personally watched that thermostat and know that the temperature was a little above seventy during the day and below seventy at night. I think a word from you would be more effective than anything I’d say if I went down to talk to them.

Grace came to dinner last night. I gave all the children an early supper, sent the older ones to Devotions and put Sheila, who hadn’t had a nap time, in bed so I hadn’t any worry about them. Kathleen had said her Rosary at noon because Charlotte Anderson had invited her to a birthday supper at five.

This has been a very busy time for all here who go to school. We are going through six weeks tests and, as usual, the results in some cases are very disappointing. John will never do more than just pass, I’m afraid, and it is a shame because he could do so well if he weren’t so lazy and so intent on fooling people. I’ve tried to put him on his own as far as Latin is concerned. He tried to get me to do his work and I made a point of showing him how and leaving him with the job. As a result, he’s failed again. Personally I’m convinced he needs not help in the study, but some sort of stiff discipline. I’m absolutely disgusted with him as he is certainly old enough to have some sense of responsibility.

Pat is as usual a comfort. His arithmetic work wasn’t as good as usual – he brought home a thirty five – but he has been chosen as first prize winner in The Posture Contest for the third grade, which fact he offered as consolation for the Arithmetic mark. Kathleen has averages in her subjects from eighty six to eighty nine which means that she has worked.

I can’t agree that you were “agreeable interesting attractive or sociable” this last weekend. I would say that you tended toward opposite characteristics. I never enjoy being told what to do or that my clothes aren’t becoming. What interesting entertainment did you offer? I really am still young enough to enjoy dissipation more thrilling than grocery shopping and housework. I had planned and hoped for a birthday celebration somewhere away from here – I’d hate to get started on how good any other place would look to me – but my purse contains barely enough to feed the five until Saturday and certainly won’t permit me to travel anyway but by foot. At forty-three, I had hoped for more but, perhaps, as you so cheerfully say, things could be worse – in fact, in most recent memory, they have been so that’s that.

I won’t write anymore. As you can see I am not in a happy frame of mind. After three more of your sad letters, I may cheer up.

Kathleen


NOTES:

Kathleen Moonan Fitzgerald
Kathleen
William A Fitzgerald
William
Letters 1936
Sumner Field Project
Children’s School reports
Latin
The Posture Contest

Thanks to Brigid for retyping this and adding background

No comments:

Post a Comment